If Canada Nexus Pass disadvantages exist it is a matter of opinion. Some people believe there are disadvantages to being a GOES NEXUS pass holder and whilst this may be true, you have to weigh up whether the advantages (faster crossing times, no queues, less questions from border guards) outweigh the Nexus pass disadvantages.
Nexus Pass Disadvantages are seen as follows:
- You may not be comfortable with the Canadian government having so much information held on file about you. The “big brother” phenomenon could be a disadvantage of the GOES NEXUS pass, because they’ll have your address and employment history, your immigration status, your fingerprints, and (optionally) your iris scan. And it’s not only the Canadian government who hold this information – the US government will have it too along with law enforcement agencies from both countries.
- Another Nexus pass disadvantage could be the RFID tag embedded in the NEXUS card. Some people think that this could be used to track your whereabouts.
- If you break any immigration or customs laws, your GOES NEXUS pass will be revoked and you will be prosecuted. You will not be able to apply for any other trusted traveler program again. Some people believe that the punishment for a trusted traveler NEXUS pass holder are harsher than if the same violation was committed by a non-NEXUS card holder.
- Holding a GOES NEXUS pass will get you over the border faster, but if you are traveling with non- Nexus card holders you cannot use the NEXUS kiosks to speed up your travel, nor can you drop them off to cross the border on foot – this will result in an automatic withdrawal of your GOES NEXUS pass. The NEXUS pass only covers you, not your passengers. That means if you want to cross the border with passengers, you either need to cross in the regular lanes or make sure they all have NEXUS cards.
- If you are not a Canadian citizen or US citizen you must keep your immigration status up-to-date with the GOES NEXUS authorities. If your paperwork changes frequently the NEXUS paperwork maintenance can be more hassle than it’s worth.
- Finally, the restrictions on goods that can be brought across into Canada and into America without making a customs declaration may prove to be another Nexus pass disadvantage; if you frequently bring in goods that need to be declared you will save little time crossing with a NEXUS pass.
NEXUS Pass Benefits
Despite these perceived disadvantages, the NEXUS card has many benefits for Canadian citizens or permanent residents who want to fast track border crossings between Canada and the United States especially if you have no problem with the government holding personal data about you.
- Canada NEXUS card holders can use the card as an air card when flying into Canada or the United States as well as using it at land and sea points of entry.
- The Canada NEXUS pass is an accepted alternative to a passport when crossing between Canada and the United States.
- NEXUS pass holders are given a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID passes, which allows them to use designated NEXUS lanes at border crossing points. Using the NEXUS lane significantly speeds up the time spent waiting and being processed at the Canadian border.
- Faster border crossing times even at peak periods.
- Faster border inspection time. CBSA estimate that it takes NEXUS card holders 10 seconds at the border guard’s inspection booth.
IVT does not guarantee approval for any Trusted Traveler program. Inaccurate or incomplete NEXUS pass application forms are automatically denied access to the NEXUS cards program.
Questions about NEXUS Card? Read our FAQs
Terms and Conditions
Please refer to our terms and conditions before purchasing IVT services. By clicking the download link and paying the PayPal fees, you are agreeing to purchase a download pack or application form service from IVT. IVT is not a US or Canadian government agency or related to any US or Canadian government agency. IVT is not involved in the processing of your visa, trusted traveler program or passport. The PayPal fee you are agreeing to is the fee for IVT’s services as a private company. There may be additional government fees to pay for the services you are downloading – these fees are explained on this webpage and within the application packs when you click the ‘Download Application’ button. We issue refunds under specific conditions. Check the Terms and Conditions page for more details. Please email us at email@example.com with your refund request. IVT is not accountable for any information given in the application pack, nor are we liable for any omissions or errors. The maximum liability for any circumstance will not exceed the purchase price.