Sponsoring a Common Law Partner

Free information guide for Sponsoring a Common Law Partner

Many couples today choose not to enter into a formal marriage preferring to live together as common-law spouses. The term ‘common-law’ means that you and your heterosexual partner live together in the same household as though you were man and wife. Common-law marriages are legally binding in Canada and are treated with the same respect both in society and in terms of the law. To this end the Citizenship and Immigration Canada allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to bring their foreign common-law spouse to live with them in the Canada providing the couple have lived together for a specified period of time. IVT’s free Common Law Sponsorship Pack is designed to help couples who have lived together for a year or bring their partner to live in Canada.


Application Procedure

1. Click the ‘Download Application’ button to access the free Common Law Marriage  Application Pack
2. Read and follow the instructions on how to prepare your application
3. Fill out the application forms included in the pack
4. Deliver or courier your complete application package to the address provided in the pack
5. Receive a permanent residence visa for your partner


Application Pack Contents

• Information on who can be a sponsor

• The responsibilities of a sponsor

• Admissibility into Canada

• How to sponsor a common law spouse

• How to sponsor a dependent child

• Sponsorship fees are and how to pay them

• Where to file an application

Terms and Conditions

By clicking the download link you are downloading a free Canada Visa Application Pack from IVT. IVT is not a government agency and is not involved in the processing of your Canadian visa. Each Canadian Visa Application Pack is free of charge. IVT is not accountable for any information given in the application pack, nor are we liable for any omissions or errors. By clicking the ‘Download Application’ button you understand that Canada Immigration Visa & Travel (IVT) is not a government agency, and that this application pack was designed as an information guide by an independent organization, not by the Canadian government.